Friday, June 5, 2009

THING 7 - RSS FEEDS

Like Thing 6 (Blog Readers), RSS Feeds are a good thing. I have to admit the day after I did Thing 6 and I went back into Google Reader I felt a bit overwhelmed by all the stuff there was to read. It took an hour to skim them all, but when I went back in today I was able to get in and out very quickly because few of the blogs had been posted to since yesterday. That was a relief to realize that if you read them regularly it shouldn't be too time-consuming. It certainly beats bookmarking everything and clicking back-and-forth and back-and-forth. This really will be a good tool for helping me keep more current.

Learning about RSS feeds came in the nick of time. I was researching FanFic for a blog I am writing for Fort Worth Library's Feast on Books blog and discovered the http://www.fanfiction.net/ site and they have the linking icons for RSS feeds so it was nice to understand what that meant. It was also fun to find the crossover fiction such as "Calvin & Hobbes Goes to Hogwarts."

I am not sure how to apply this to patron usage other than encouraging patrons to add the library's blog to their reader accounts. Of course in acquisitions there is not that much patron interaction, but perhaps some of my vendors have sites I can add to my Google Reader. hmmmm.....I will have to check into that.

No comments:

Post a Comment