Thursday, July 16, 2009

Twitterpated - Thing 12

It's been 3 weeks since I've worked on the NT23 and I've totally forgot what I did with Thing 11 - Instant Messaging. I can't even find the profile and avatar I set up. I'm going to chalk that up to "I'm not going to use it anyway" and not pursue it. I still don't have a cell phone and it seems like it would just be further interuptions to my work to have it open on my desktop. Given that I am going to choose to not set up a Twitter account for the same reasons. I think this training is great, but what happens to all the stuff that gets set-up and is never used. It just seems like I am just clogging up the Internet with trash. I wonder what percentage of stuff out there can be deleted. Just think how often you click on a link and it goes nowhere.

Having kept up with various blogs through the recent ALA conference it was obvious that Twitter was being heavily used by participants. Twitter allows individuals to participate in history (look at the recent elections in Iran), it shows that innovation can happen anywhere, it offers many-to-many communication, it is interactive in that it allows consumers to become producers of information, and allows news to be reported as it happens (as in the recent earthquake in China).

Despite my blog title I am not Twitterpated (i.e. confused by affection or infatuation) by Twitter. Confused -yes. Infatuated, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment